What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor WAN links for use in dependencies

Votes:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to monitor a WAN connection. I'd like to use this monitor as a dependency for my other checks. Most people would use "ping" to monitor a WAN link, however it would appear that ping is forced to use the parent device's IP (other sensors can have an IP/DNS name override..why doesn't ping?). However, I dont want to base ALL of my monitors and dependencies on the ping of a single device on the internet... I tried to make the dependency a group, but it doesnt appear that I can make one group dependent on another group.

I'd rather ping 3-4 hosts on the internet, and ONLY if the whole group is down would the alerts stop for the group who is dependent on the ping of the 3-4 hosts.

Basically, if my ISP has a routing or upstream failure I dont want 500 Alerts hitting my ticketing system... but I'm also leery to make all of my alerts dependent on the ping of a single IP Address...

What have others done? How do you monitor your WAN links and make your groups dependent on them?

Thanks, Chisholm

dependencies multiple-ping wan-links

Created on Mar 31, 2013 5:00:53 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The behavior, you want is possible, but it is a little tricky to set up.

First you will need your ping sensors. Let's say you have got 4 of them pinging 4 different remote on the internet.

• Ping 1 (Sensorid 100001)
  • Ping 2 (Sensorid 100002)
  • Ping 3 (Sensorid 100003)
  • Ping 4 (Sensorid 100004)

To get the combined status of all those 4 Sensors, you will need to use a sensor factory sensor (for details take a look at the sensors documentation)

The factory can be set up like this:

Channel Definition:

#1:Ping <website1>
channel(100001,0)
#2:Ping <website2>
channel(100002,0)
#3:Ping <website3>
channel(100003,0)
#4:Ping <website4>
channel(100004,0)

Error Handling: Use custom formula

Status Definition:

status(100001) and status(100002) and status(100003) and status(100004)

Now the factory sensor has the exact behavior, you are looking for and can be used as your dependancy.

Please make sure, to use the sensorids of your actual sensors, instead of the placeholder ids in this example. (You can find the sensorid in the overview tab of the sensor)

Created on Apr 1, 2013 2:16:10 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.