What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to move netflow sensors from one probe to another without data loss?

Votes:

I have a single probe/core server setup that's starting to reach it's load limit. We suspect it is the custom netflow sensors that are causing the extra load (two sensors with more than 20 channels each and large filters; data comes from 2 routers with up to 200Mbps sustained traffic). We're thinking about adding a second probe for doing the netflow collection but can't afford to lose any historical data since we use it for billing. Is it possible to: build the new remote probe; add it to the list of IPs the routers export netflow data to; move the sensor from old probe to new probe.

This seems like it would work, but I would like to know for certain before I propose adding another probe.

historic-data migrate move netflow

Created on May 26, 2010 1:51:44 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Jim,

as you know, moving one sensor from a device to another is not possible, especially not in this case when the sensors are on probe devices. I'm afraid you can only try working around this with the Sensor Factory.

Created on May 26, 2010 4:24:38 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Since we would move all of our netflow sensors and since they are all under the same device, can we move the device from old probe to new probe without data loss?

Created on May 26, 2010 4:27:44 PM

Votes:

Dear Jim,

if it would be a remote probe, it might be possible. However starting from the Local Probe, we'd say it's too risky.

Best Regards.

Created on May 28, 2010 12:53:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.