What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Set sensor down status as "Normal" for monitoring?

Votes:

Is it possible to set a sensor in a down state to be reported as Normal?

For example, we have a certain workflow that automatically starts and stops services on certain servers, and we need to be alerted should a service be "running" automatically by mistake.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

down prtg sensor

Created on Apr 5, 2013 3:39:07 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

The only way to have a down state not be reported would be to have the alarm auto-acknowledge. You can set this up by following the guide here Auto-Acknowledge and set up a custom state trigger with the HTTP action being executed when the service goes into a down state.

This will still show that the service is down but will stop the alarm from being set off.

Created on Apr 8, 2013 9:33:06 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What if you want to set a Service Not Running to report as Normal status (green), and when that service starts to failed (red)?

Created on Apr 18, 2013 5:55:44 PM

Votes:

One way to do this would be to create a custom WMI sensor and run a WQL query against that service and define the states in the query.

You could also create a Sensor Factory Sensor and define there what the channels would alert but you would still need to have a WMI Service sensor to base the Sensor Factory sensor from.

Created on Apr 19, 2013 10:55:36 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Would it be possible to make this (Normal state is failure) an "Enhancement Request" for the next release of PRTG? Do you allow enhancement requests?

Thanks!

Created on Apr 29, 2013 1:07:11 PM

Votes:

Actually an easy way to do this would be in the different types of "Triggers" to allow "UP" to be an option.

Thanks!

Created on Apr 29, 2013 1:10:01 PM

Votes:

Sorry, my last reply won't work, because then PRTG will always have alarms showing monitors down.

Created on Apr 29, 2013 1:46:35 PM

Votes:

We will not change the behaviour of "DOWN" sensors it just does not fit into our vision of a monitoring system. Sorry.

Greg has pointed out various options above.

Created on Apr 29, 2013 4:01:35 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

I'd like to join in the request that an "Up trigger" be added. I have several backup VPN's that are normally down.

When the main VPN fails, I am alerted that it is down. It sure would be helpful if the backup VPN would notify that it has come up properly.

Created on Mar 28, 2014 4:24:08 PM

Votes:

Any news about this?

I have the same desire - to easily set a sensor that is "Down" to "Up".

Would be very useful!

Created on Feb 23, 2018 8:27:58 AM

Votes:

Any news about this feature request? I have some VPN backup tunnels in "down" state and I would received a notification when they will change to "UP" Thanks!

Created on Apr 11, 2023 7:51:34 AM

Votes:

Hello, Esavorani
Thanks for reaching us.
There are no updates so far, however, please note that there isn't an official enhancement request for this feature. As per Dirk, "it just does not fit into our vision of a monitoring system."

Created on Apr 18, 2023 3:39:26 PM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.