What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there any way to monitor a disabled service?

Votes:

I know this question has been asked already, but maybe this is a feature on the newer versions of PRTG. There are some services that need to remain disabled unless something else is required for specific servers, so can i monitor the services to send a notification when the service is set to start? since they are disabled when i unpause the sensor it sends the error of "service stopped". Thanks

disable error services

Created on Apr 9, 2013 2:23:29 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Take a look at Custom Sensor PTF.ServiceStatus.

It retrieves the status of a Windows service and returns a value, where

1=Stopped, 2=StartPending, 3=StopPending, 4=Running, 5=ContinuePending, 6=PausedPending, 7=Paused

Using the sensors parameters, you can provide a comma seperated list of service statusses that will set your sensor in a warning or down state.

Regards,

Created on Apr 10, 2013 7:43:22 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid this can only be done with a Custom Sensor. The normal query of the WMI Service sensors is:

SELECT Started,State,Status FROM Win32_Service WHERE Name='<servicename>'

So if you would use this query and only use the "State" it should be possible to notify upon the service having a state that is not desired. To check the possible values you can use our WMI Tester and run this query against a few different services in different states.

best regards.

Created on Apr 9, 2013 4:37:19 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

Take a look at Custom Sensor PTF.ServiceStatus.

It retrieves the status of a Windows service and returns a value, where

1=Stopped, 2=StartPending, 3=StopPending, 4=Running, 5=ContinuePending, 6=PausedPending, 7=Paused

Using the sensors parameters, you can provide a comma seperated list of service statusses that will set your sensor in a warning or down state.

Regards,

Created on Apr 10, 2013 7:43:22 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.