What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can't Add Share Disk Free Sensor

Votes:

I'm migrating 4 PRTG server to a single PRTG server it looks like I for some reason I can't add a Shared Disk Free sensor to a device even though I was able to add it in another PRTG server instance.

I've added the device in the exact same way I did on the old PRTG instance, though when I added it on the other PRTG server it was running a slightly older version.

The error it provides me with is "Note: Windows credentials have not been set for the device or one of its parents"

prtg sensor shared-disk-free

Created on May 27, 2010 6:47:00 AM

Last change on Jun 7, 2010 2:13:29 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Windows Credentials Mandatory for Share Disk Free Sensor

In order to be able to create certain sensors in PRTG, you have to enter Windows credentials first—even when not required by a certain resource. This is by design.

If you want to add a Share Disk Free sensor for a share that does not require username and passwort, please enter random information into the Username and Passwort fields for Windows Credentials in PRTG. After doing so, you can add the sensor.

Created on Jun 7, 2010 2:11:49 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

5 Replies

Votes:

It would seem you need to define access credentials (user name and password) for the group or device overyling the sensor in case.

Created on May 27, 2010 11:21:40 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

There are no user names or passwords needed. It's a publicly shared folder. It's tree is configured in the same way as on the old PRTG server.

I just tried to add that same sensor again on the old server and it gives me the same error as on the new server.

It looks like it was broken in a upgrade somewhere.

Created on May 28, 2010 8:10:57 PM

Votes:

Does it help if you add the domain or the computer name under the Credentials for Windows Systems?

Created on Jun 1, 2010 1:40:13 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I added the credentials for the prtg server then added the sensor and it worked.

It continued to work once I removed the credentials as well.

Thanks

Created on Jun 2, 2010 4:25:38 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Windows Credentials Mandatory for Share Disk Free Sensor

In order to be able to create certain sensors in PRTG, you have to enter Windows credentials first—even when not required by a certain resource. This is by design.

If you want to add a Share Disk Free sensor for a share that does not require username and passwort, please enter random information into the Username and Passwort fields for Windows Credentials in PRTG. After doing so, you can add the sensor.

Created on Jun 7, 2010 2:11:49 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.