What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Remote probe is not working

Votes:

Hello

I have installed PRTG Network Monitor 13.2.5.1774 in the CORE and PROBE, the communication this established correctly and I do not see errors in logs

I check the documentation and apparently all this correct https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg8/remote_probes_and_multiple_probes.htm

The sensors that CORE has not are talked back in automatic to the PROBE, if CORE goes DOWN probe this not collecting data of the sensors, I do not understand well what is the correct step so that probe collects information of the sensors

it tries to test to clon the sensors that CORE to PROBE and has that collect information, but I down CORE and later go to UP CORE do not update its sensors .. do the sensors that CORE has have to synchronize or to copy to PROBE or what is the procedure?

thanks in advance

core probe prtg

Created on Apr 17, 2013 1:36:47 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. A Remote Probe will not automatically take over the settings from your PRTG Core (it will be necessary to add the sensors manually under the Remote Probe or at least clone them). A Remote Probes "purpose" is mostly to do monitoring in remote locations or separated subnets. It's not really a failover mechanism for your PRTG Core Server. That would then be a PRTG Cluster.

best regards.

Created on Apr 17, 2013 10:57:16 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for respond

Already clone the sensors that CORE has towards PROBE, supposedly PROBE goes to synchronize the CORE sensors if CORE down for any reason, in order to have the data of the sensors always and not to have lost .. or this does not work of this form =/

Thanks in advance

Created on Apr 17, 2013 7:26:52 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry, but there is no synchronization of settings or data between sensors on the Local and on Remote Probes. This is not possible or done.

Created on Apr 18, 2013 11:59:59 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I not finished understanding the operation of the PROBE, I have the probe in the remote location and the core in my office, the 2 working as the manual says it ..but if CORE falls, I cannot see the data of I tried and if Core returns their sensors have lost of data in CORE and PROBE,

Thanks in advance

Created on Apr 23, 2013 4:02:39 PM

Votes:

If Core falls I am not going to have any data of the sensors of Probe?

Thanks in advance

Created on Apr 24, 2013 1:51:46 AM

Votes:

Hello,

if the connection between the core and the remote probe is lost, the remote probe buffers the data untill the connection is reestablished and then sends all data to the core.

The remote probe can buffer up to 500000 values.

Created on Apr 24, 2013 4:29:46 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It is what I hope that does, but the data are not sent to Core ... The Core was only down 3 hours and when returning probe non send any data to core, even since I go down Core the Probe no longer has data in their sensors .. of 700 sensors of Core, 200 were only cloned towards Probe

That I can do so that works? where it can be the error?

Thanks in advance

Created on Apr 24, 2013 3:47:09 PM

Votes:

Hello,

it is about time we make a support ticket out of this.

please forward us your system log files for analysis? You can find the same under

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Vista/2008: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please send the Logs(System) folder as a zip file if possible.

If you have changed the location of the data folder in the past or if you can not find current log files in the above location, please check your data path in the PRTG Server Administrator Tool on the PRTG server.

Please send the Logs(system) folder from the server and the remote probe

please send it to [email protected]

and mention the KB article.

Created on Apr 25, 2013 3:49:18 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

(Case PAE311260) is not replay by email, mail without answer 15May)

Hello

It installs a Windows 2008 from zero, later it installs only PROBE and it follows without working, I down Core by some hours and when it raises CORE, only sensors of PROBE have data

Logs from probe

15/05/2013 21:12:43 Connected to 192.168.1.195:23560 15/05/2013 21:12:43 Send Buffer: 490 15/05/2013 20:50:18 - 15/05/2013 20:55:47 15/05/2013 21:12:43 Buffer: 26944 15/05/2013 21:12:44 Connected 15/05/2013 21:12:46 Send Login 15/05/2013 21:12:46 Login OK: Bienvenido a PRTG

I upload logs four your analysis, it is urgent to me to have this solution for my scheme of monitoring

Thanks in advance

Created on May 21, 2013 4:05:11 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.