I want to monitor more counters of APC devices—for example, APC PowerNet—than PRTG provides in its standard SNMP libraries. How can I achieve this?
This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later
Monitoring Specific Counters of APC Devices
By default, PRTG comes with the SNMP libraries APC UPS.oidlib and APCSensorstationlib.oidlib to monitor basic counters of APC devices with the SNMP Library Sensor. However, if these PRTG standard libraries are not sufficient for your needs, you can use the original MIB file provided by APC and import the needed OIDs as a new SNMP library for PRTG.
Important notice: Because the APC MIB file is very huge, scanning APC devices would last very long. Please partially select your desired counters first with the MIB Importer.
Steps to Go
In order to monitor specific counters of APC devices, please follow the steps below.
Import APC’s MIB Using Partial Selection
- Go to APC’s webpage and navigate to Support > Software & Firmware Download.
- Choose Firmware Upgrades – MIB from Filter By Software/Firmware.
- Download the MIB file you need, for example, PowerNet MIB. Note: You will need a registration for APC to download an MIB file.
- If not done yet, download Paessler MIB Importer, preferably version V3, install and open it.
- Import the APC MIB file you downloaded before: File | Import MIB File…
- Find out which counters you need to monitor your APC device corresponding to your needs. For example, you can browse through the OIDs in the MIB Importer and read their descriptions on the right side in the properties section.
- In the MIB Importer, switch to the partial selection mode: File | Enable Partial Selection
- Select the OIDs you need by marking the corresponding checkboxes on the left.
- Once you are finished and have marked all desired counters, save the created partial selection in the \snmplibs subfolder of your PRTG installation: File | Save Partial Selection As…
This will create a new SNMP library file.
Use the Created SNMP Library in PRTG
You can use the just created partial selection of the APC MIB file now in PRTG to monitor the desired counters of your APC devices. For this concern, add an SNMP Library sensor to the device in PRTG that represents your APC device.
- Right-click on the specific device to open the context menu und choose Add Sensor…
- Choose the SNMP Library sensor in the setup assistant.
- Select the library you just created for your APC device from the appearing list. Make sure that you have stored the SNMP library in the \snmplibs subfolder so that it will appear in this list!
- In the next step, choose the counter(s) from the list PRTG will create the sensor(s) for.
After clicking on Continue, PRTG will start to monitor the selected counters of the corresponding APC device immediately.