What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitoring network without SNMP

Votes:

Hi I'm trying to use PRTG, in order to monitor my bandwidth (which is very different from one hour to the other, because of the technology used by my provider). I have 2 or 3 computer on my little network, but my router is cheap, and without SNMP (I have a Netgear RP614v4 or a Linksys WRT120N). Is it possible to see the whole traffic coming in and out the router? Is it possible to see each computer traffic? I try to understand the sniffer and Netflow, but I wonder if it is not a waste of time... Thank you very much. Best regards. C. Sauvenay

router snmp traffic

Created on Apr 18, 2013 4:14:17 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

When you are monitoring something like bandwidth, you would need to have something like SNMP reporting for the interface how much bandwidth is going over the port.

You could use something like packet sniffing for that device but you would only be seeing what bandwidth is being used, not the total bandwidth of your connection.

Seeing a specific computer's traffic would not be possible unless you monitored that computers interface to the network.

Created on Apr 19, 2013 12:15:44 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 19, 2013 12:16:24 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks a lot. What is the difference beetween "seeing what bandwidth is being used" and the "total bandwidth"? I tried to use packet sniffing but I have no result... What should I test? The IP of the router? I have a last question: what do you mean by "monitoring that computers interface to the network"? Installing PRTG in each? Thank you very much, and sorry for my English, which is not very good. C. Sauvenay

Created on Apr 19, 2013 12:43:49 PM

Votes:

Not a problem, when you are in the web interface for PRTG, you would create a device in PRTG with the IP for that computer. From there, you would add an SNMP traffic sensor for the computer's network interface. If it is a windows machine, you would need to install and setup SNMP on the other computer not running PRTG for this to work.

If you want to see how much bandwidth your internet connection has available, this is not possible, you could only set up a monitor to see how much traffic is passing through your router or modem's interfaces.

You could also try loading different firmware onto the modem or router that does support SNMP so that you can get the information that you need from the interfaces.

How do I discern excessive bandwidth usage with PRTG?

Created on Apr 19, 2013 1:35:14 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 19, 2013 1:35:53 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.