I want to add a PerfCounter Custom sensor to my PRTG. Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly which performance counters I can monitor and what their names are. Where can I find a list of available performance counters and how can I add them to the sensor for monitoring?
This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13.2.3 or later
Obtaining Performance Counters
The list of available performance counters can rather vary, depending on the target system. In addition, these lists can be very long because usually there are hundreds of these counters. Thus, it is not possible to have a whole list of counters available in PRTG.
In order to find out which performance counters are available on your system and how to add them to PRTG, please follow the steps below.
Steps to Go
- Start perfmon.exe on your target Windows system. Microsoft provides this tool on all Windows systems. You can search there for all available performance counters.
- In perfmon, choose Monitoring Tools | Performance Monitor (1)
- Click on the green plus symbol (2). This will open a window with available performance counters.
- Search for the counter of your interest, add it, and click on OK. Best practice is to have only one counter chosen.
- Click on the copy symbol (3) to copy properties
- Paste the properties into a text editor.
- In the copied code, search for the name of the desired counter. A counter name is indicated by Counter[…].Path. The corresponding line for our example will look like this:
<PARAM NAME="Counter00001.Path" VALUE="\Processor Information(_Total)\% Processor Time"/>
- Copy the text within the quotes after the keyword VALUE=. Here it is \Processor Information(_Total)\% Processor Time
- This is what you have to provide in the settings for PRTG’s PerfCounter Custom sensor in the List of Counters section. The counter name has to be followed by two double dots :: and a specific unit (here percentile %).
After clicking on Continue in the add sensor dialog, PRTG will start to monitor the corresponding performance counter immediately.
Please see this article if PRTG cannot access specific available performance counters remotely and throws the error message The specified object is not found on the system.
Tip: If the counter contains one of the following characters: " < > & this character will be replace, because they are not allowed in xml. you can see a list of the replacements here:
if you counter contains one of these replacement strings, you will need to undo the replacement, before you can use the performance counter with the sensor.
If the counter in xml is for example "\Memory\Free & amp; Zero Page List Bytes", you need to use "\Memory\Free & Zero Page List Bytes" instead.
I can't see any reference to perfmon counter unit values, here or in the online help entry for this sensor, /help/perfcounter_custom_sensor.htm. Only the unit "%" is referenced. What are the valid unit types, besides "%"?
The actual unit can be anything you like - even ::SuperUnit :)
Can u please share an example, i am trying to add following counter but get an error
\TCPv4\Segments Retransmitted/sec:: \TCPv4\Connections Reset:: \TCPv4\Connection Failures::
What unit should i use to add these counters
# should do the trick - or Segments, Resets, Failures (for the corresponding counters).