What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

No Valid Result from ssh shell - SSH Remote Ping

Votes:

Hi,

I am getting the following error for SSH Remote Ping.

No valid result from SSH Shell

The target machine is a Debian Squeeze.

Thanks Ronal

linux prtg ssh-remote-ping

Created on Apr 22, 2013 1:12:16 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Is the "bash" set as default console for the user, you are using for the monitoring(linux credentials in the device settings)?

What is the output if you run the following command on the target system? (Please use the same user, you want to use for your monitoring)

ping -c 2 -s 32 127.0.0.1 | tail -2| awk ''{if ( NR==1) {regex = "[0-9]+%"; if (match($0, regex)) {printf "%s;",substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH)} }; if (NR==2) {n=split($4,valarray,"/"); for(i=1;i<=n;i++) {printf "%s;", valarray[i]} } }'';printf "\n"

Created on Apr 22, 2013 1:21:25 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Hi,

The default console is BASH for the user. I am using key based authentication so I have added the username and private key to the device settings.

The above command returns syntax error message but the following command returns a result : 0%;0.034;0.038;0.042;0.004;

ping -c 2 -s 32 127.0.0.1 | tail -2| awk '{if ( NR==1) {regex = "[0-9]+%"; if (match($0, regex)) {printf "%s;",substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH)} }; if (NR==2) {n=split($4,valarray,"/"); for(i=1;i<=n;i++) {printf "%s;", valarray[i]} } }';printf "\n";

I have executed the command on same user account used for monitoring.

Regards Ronal

Created on Apr 22, 2013 9:53:10 PM

Votes:

There is a setting called "Result Handling" in the sensor settings. Please set this to "Write result to disk (Filename: "Result of Sensor [ID].txt")" and send the file, that will be created to "[email protected]". Please refer to this article, so our support team will know what to do with the file.

Created on Apr 23, 2013 1:53:19 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.