What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

What is the correlation between Uptime/downtime - good/failed from the PRTG reports?

Votes:

I was reading on another KB article, that the good/failed column from a PRTG report represents the requests given to a certain period of time, however this still not clear to me since the reports we get from PRTG also show the "uptime/downtime".
The column for uptime/downtime are shown in green, while the "good/failed" show in red, the following is an example of what i see in some of the sensors information from a report:

uptime/downtime        100 % - 0 %    [6d23h26m58s] [0s]
good/failed          99.98 % - 0.02 % [10046]       [2]

Then my question would be, how did we manage to get 100% uptime in that period of time, if we are seeing 99.98% response time? how do we calculate these percents?

Thanks for the help.

downtime failed percentage reports uptime

Created on Apr 22, 2013 6:32:06 PM

Last change on Jul 10, 2015 12:46:20 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

4 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

uptime means the uptime of course. For requests it's slightly different, because PRTG only accounts downtime between at least two consecutive failed scans. So if only one request fails, it's accounted as failed/bad request but does not effect uptime. If a scan fails, the sensor goes down. To be exact, with most sensors after a failed scan PRTG performs an immediate re-scan and if these both fail, the sensor goes into down state. But that gives no exact measurement for downtime, PRTG can't know how long the target is already down. So it takes at least one more scan following the scanning interval for PRTG to have a proper valid statement for downtime.

best regards.

Created on Apr 22, 2013 6:51:43 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great, thanks for the explanation.

Created on Apr 24, 2013 9:40:13 PM

Votes:

On a related topic, I have a couple of Website uptime reports one is yearly and the other one is a weekly report.

I manage to add more decimal places to the channel settings for all websites but im running in the issue that only the Yearly report will show all the decimals (3, since we are required to report 5 digits for audit purposes 99.999) for the "good/failed" column, but the Weekly report will only show the 2 decimals (99.99), is there any setting that i need to double check to see what i am missing?

The websites are the same on both reports so that means the settings are ok (i would think).

thanks.

Created on Apr 29, 2013 1:50:26 PM

Votes:

Virgina,

Could you please try updating to the newest version of PRTG, I ran the same reports and could not replicate the issue.

If this does not work, please submit a ticket with some screenshots of the issue to [email protected]

Created on Apr 30, 2013 11:30:09 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.