What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

sensor templates

Votes:

I want to change the way snmp traffic sensor works per different network device family/product line - specifically, when prtg scans the interfaces now, it shows various in/out traffic rates, but not the error rates. I would like them to be included as a default parameter. Provided this can be done, could anyone guide me in the right direction with pointers/articles?

custom-sensor templates xml

Created on Apr 23, 2013 9:57:41 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB Post! You can use the Multi-Edit to change this on all existing sensors. For sensors that shall be added with the Auto-Discover, you can use Device Templates to create future devices and sensors according to your "requirements".
Please be aware though that there is something to bear in mind with SNMP Traffic Sensors, only the first Traffic Sensor (on the device that you create the template from) will be written into the template. So this first Traffic Sensor needs to have the Error-Channel enabled. Later on then with the Auto-Discovery, it will add Traffic Sensors (according to the definition in the template), for every port with traffic over 0.

best regards.

Created on Apr 23, 2013 3:43:09 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Auto-discovery based on a specified device template seems exactly what I need. I have been checking the templates supplied by paessler at devicetemplates folder and while I could work with them, I cannot anywhere on the web find the xml schema used in those files, so the question (if I'm looking at it the right way) is - where can I find the schema definitions used in those .odt files?

Created on Apr 23, 2013 4:10:42 PM

Votes:

To reiterate my reply (can I edit it while its under review?), when you said "So this first Traffic Sensor needs to have the Error-Channel enabled", how do I find out what xml keyword enables the Error-Channel?

Created on Apr 23, 2013 7:02:57 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.