New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

My PRTG has crashed and I can’t restart it anymore. What can I do?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Are there any recommendations or guidelines what to do if PRTG crashes and it is not possible to restart the program?

crash guideline problem prtg recommendations restart

Created on Apr 23, 2013 1:27:41 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 12 or later

Guideline for Reacting to a PRTG Crash

If your PRTG crashed and you cannot restart it anymore, split the approach to solve this problem into two steps:

First, try to get your PRTG running again! You should consider this, even though you might have to accept the loss of some monitoring data. The most important thing is: Back to work, as soon as possible! You can also install and run a PRTG trial version. This ensures that you have at least one running instance of PRTG while trouble shooting.

Second, try to find the problem! Because this can be hard work and can easily take some days even in the case of a medium sized issue, we strongly recommend accomplishing the first step in advance; that is, getting PRTG back to work. This approach will take away some of the pressure you might be in when PRTG has crashed.

The following steps will help you find the problem and to resolve corresponding issues.

Make a Backup or Snapshot

If PRTG crashes, make a backup or snapshot. This way you can be sure that you have the current, crashed status of PRTG at any time for later forensic analysis. For details, please refer to the article How do I backup all data and configuration of my PRTG installation?

Pinpoint the Problem

When trying to localize the problem, consider the following points:

• When did the problem begin?
  • Was the problem potentially triggered by any changes to your setup?
  • Did you try to reset recent changes which might have caused the issue?
  • Are there any updates of the operating system, virus scanner, etc., which have been installed on the system recently?
  • Have you already rebooted the core and probe systems? Please refer to the PRTG manual for more information about rebooting core and rebooting probe.
  • Have a look into PRTG’s log files. These might indicate the reason for the problem.

If Log Files are Empty

If you find nothing in the log files, run PRTG’s server executable file directly with the parameter INFO (no other characters needed!). \PRTG Network Monitor\”PRTG Server.exe” INFO The registration information popup window must appear. This test checks if the executable can be started at all and if all necessary DLLs are available.

Registration Information Popup

Adjust Web Server and Probe Settings

Sometimes rogue traffic that is sent intentionally (as an attack) or unintentionally can kill PRTG’s webserver. For example, very frequent requests via the PRTG API, maybe by automated scripts running in your LAN, or by an Enterprise Console with wrong credentials set.

In this case, change the port and/or IP for the webserver and probe connections. For details, please refer to PRTG Manual: PRTG Administration Tool.

Revert to Your Old Configuration

PRTG saves a daily backup of its configuration file. Try to go back to a PRTG configuration that is a few days old. For details, please see the article How do I restore a previous configuration of PRTG from automated backup ZIPs?

Migrate Your PRTG Installation

Try to run PRTG on a different machine. This should preferably be a bare metal system so that you can rule out any issues regarding VMware. If you have a configuration with less than 1,000 sensors, then it should run on any Windows machine (Windows Server 2008 R2 or later, Windows 7 or later), even on a workstation.

Please take such a new machine and follow the instructions for moving your PRTG installation to this computer in the following article: How can I move (migrate) my PRTG installation to a another computer?

If PRTG Runs on VMware

• First, please refer to the article Checklist for Running PRTG on VMware and ensure that all requirements listed there are fulfilled by your configuration.
  • If you can rule out the issues listed in this article, figure out if there is a snapshot of your PRTG configuration available. Can you revert to a snapshot created before your latest setup changes?
  • Can you move your virtual machine to a different host? Even a workstation installation will be sufficient.

Ask our Support Team

If none of the tips above helps you to get PRTG back up and running, please contact our support team and send the PRTG log files (see PRTG Manual: PRTG Administration Tool—Logs).

Created on Apr 23, 2013 1:44:43 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 9, 2017 2:36:04 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.