What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor two folders for differences

Votes:

I need to monitor a couple of folders to make sure that they are in sync across 2 different servers. i.e.
Server1\somefolder should have the same files as
server2\somefolder.

I know I could write a powershell script or a custom app to do this but I wanted to see if there was a better solution before I start from scratch.

comparison custom-sensor folder folder-compare

Created on Apr 23, 2013 7:18:35 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid there is no native sensor for this in PRTG. Sorry. You might have a look at the following article introducing a vbs script for the monitoring of Distributed File Systems which does basically write a file to two machines and then check whether it is available.
Best regards

Created on Apr 23, 2013 7:25:47 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I figured that was the case. I don't think your suggestion is really what I want though. In my case the files are created by an outside process and my user needs to know when a file exists without a corresponding "mate" in the other folder.

Created on Apr 23, 2013 7:52:26 PM

Votes:

Then, I'm afraid you will have to write your own script. Sorry.

Created on Apr 24, 2013 8:13:40 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.