What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Dell Servers with ESXi

Votes:

We have several 11th generation Dell servers (R310, R610, R710) running ESXi 4, 5, 5.1, and we would like to be able to monitor more than what the VMware SOAP sensors are reporting.

I have used PRTG in the past to monitor Dell servers with the server OS and OMSA installed on bare-metal, but I can't seem to get our virtualized hosts reporting the same data.

A few of my searches yielded this topic as a result, but I cannot access it for some reason.

What's the best way to go about monitoring these devices?

esxi esxi-5 omsa openmanage poweredge

Created on Apr 24, 2013 6:15:55 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Depending on the operating system that is installed on the VM, you could set up normal WMI and SNMP sensors for these devices just like if they were physical devices. It really depends on what metrics you are trying to see for these devices. For the OMSA and the native OS on Dell servers, the metrics aren't too relevant since it covers things like fan speed processor temp etc. which do not apply to the VM's themselves but rather to the hosts. I would recommend trying to set up the VM's as devices then you can create other sensors on them.

Created on Apr 24, 2013 6:47:28 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.