What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Bulk edit of device dependencies?

Votes:

Our default policy is that all devices should inherit schedules and dependencies from their parent group. In places where schedules must be different, then policy dictates that we set the dependency for the device to "parent". On looking at the sensor cross reference it seems that most of our devices are actually dependent on their PING sensors or have no dependency at all. Is there a way we can bulk edit all devices to either set the schedules and dependencies to inherited or to "parent" short of manually editing the 100+ devices that are out of policy?

bulk-edit cross-reference dependency parent prtg

Created on May 27, 2010 5:49:52 PM

Last change on May 28, 2010 2:18:36 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Actually, I figured out how to get what I wanted about 3 seconds after I posted my question <slaps forehead>. I went to the "Sensors >> Cross Reference" listing and sorted by type. I then selected all devices and groups and bulk edited them. I clicked the check box in front of "Inherit Schedules and Dependencies" which collapsed that section. Now all of my devices and groups inherit their dependencies from their parent which is what we were looking for.

Created on May 28, 2010 12:01:30 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

I'm afraid dependencies cannot be changed in bulk. They need to be defined individually.

Please note that when adding objects using the auto-discovery function, one master PING sensor should be added as dependant sensor for each device in case.

Created on May 28, 2010 8:57:35 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Actually, I figured out how to get what I wanted about 3 seconds after I posted my question <slaps forehead>. I went to the "Sensors >> Cross Reference" listing and sorted by type. I then selected all devices and groups and bulk edited them. I clicked the check box in front of "Inherit Schedules and Dependencies" which collapsed that section. Now all of my devices and groups inherit their dependencies from their parent which is what we were looking for.

Created on May 28, 2010 12:01:30 PM

Votes:

Ah, yes, I should have thought about that. Yes, inheriting the dependency is certainly an option. Thank you for bringing it up.

Created on May 28, 2010 12:06:50 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Is it possible to set a dependency via the API?

Created on Feb 4, 2013 9:47:54 AM

Votes:

Setting dependencies via the API is not possible, sorry.

Created on Feb 4, 2013 4:14:17 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.