What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Use of probes in a cluster setup.

Votes:

I know this has been addressed in other questions, I don't recall seeing an NLB option being brought up. We have currently a fairly large installation with many probes out at customer sites. Having a single point of failure on our monitoring is unacceptable as our services to customers depend on this.

Would it be possible to utilize a network load balance unit to re-direct probe traffic as it comes in? This way the probe traffic can be sent to the master in which PRTG failed over to. I realize the probes collect the monitoring data for a limited amount of time until the master comes back up, but we need alerting on the fly.

Thanks, Josh H.

cluster master probe

Created on Apr 26, 2013 6:03:55 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Josh, the only way that you can load balance is by using Remote Probes. Like you mentioned, if the Core PRTG goes down, these will hold data up to 500Mb or 500,000 transactions.

You can also set up a Cluster where if the main PRTG Core fails, another will take over but the remote probes will not send data to the failover node.

Remote Probes and Clustering

There are plans to change this but we cannot say how long this may take.

Created on Apr 29, 2013 11:21:06 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.