What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)

Votes:

I have set up a custom SNMP sensor using a valid OID confirmed using MIB Browser. However, PRTG Network Monitor v13.1.2.1462 is unable to get this reading from the network device. All I get is "No Such Name (SNMP error # 2).

Infact, all but a a couple of custom sensors to this remove device are reporting the aforementioned error, despite confirmed existence of their respective OIDs.

I have tried changing the SNMP Version of the device, underneath "Inherit Credentials for SNMP Devices", from v2c to v1. I also tried using 32-bit counters only, under SNMP Compatibility Options. With both these changes in place, I still get error # 2.

With MIB Browser, I do get a valid response from these OIDs as follows;

Name/OID: cpqSeCpuStatus.0; Value (Integer): ok (2) Name/OID: cpqDaCntlrCondition.2; Value (Integer): ok (2) Name/OID: cpqDaLogDrvStatus.2.1; Value (Integer): ok (2)

Ideas?

custom-snmp-sensor snmp-error-223 snmp-sensor

Created on Apr 30, 2013 12:46:40 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Have you tried testing the OID to see what value is returned with the SNMP tester? Please try running this and sending the results as well as a screenshot of the configuration to [email protected] and reference this article in the ticket. Since this is a specific issue, it will be better solved through our ticketing system.

Thanks!

Created on May 2, 2013 9:31:58 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 2, 2013 9:32:20 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Greg, thanks for the response. I was not supplying the full path when configuring sensors to read data from SNMP tables. So instead of creating a custom sensor with OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.9.3.1.5.0.2, I needed to use .1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.9.3.1.5.0.2.0.x where x is the number of entries in the SNMP table.

Created on May 2, 2013 6:16:34 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.