What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Are there any options to compress PRTG files for backup purposes?

Votes:

I ran into this question because i have not see the compression option for PRTG, and i happen to do a backup for all the files a few days ago. All the files come up to 36 GB uncompress data, which is a huge amount of disk space.

Thanks in advance any suggestion will be appreciated.

backup compression prtg-network-monitor

Created on Apr 30, 2013 6:59:52 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

you could turn on compression for the folder that holds the PRTG data, the

PRTG Monitoring Database

folder. This can be done in the folder settings.

Still, this could have a performance impact on your PRTG installation.

Created on May 1, 2013 5:43:03 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Aurelio.

I see, like i said before is mainly for backup purposes, just wanted to see if it was something easy to do. Correct me if im wrong but the location where all the sensors data is in these 3 locations?: •Into the program directory (core installation) •Into the data folder (monitoring configuration, monitoring data, logs, etc.) •Into the registry (license key, admin login, IP settings, etc.)

So if im backing up those folders and files ^, and PRTG goes away one day for whatever reason, the backups of the files above should be enough to restore PRTG with the customized settings and including the historical data of all the sensors? or what else will i need in case something like that happens?

Created on May 2, 2013 3:12:20 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.