What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problems with SMTP notificaiton delivery.

Votes:

I was using SMTP notification delivery successfully to deliver notifications, reports, etc. It stopped working, but I don't recall exactly when. Not really critical, as this is only for my home network :)

I am using gmail's SMTP relay using TLS on port 465.

I was using the latest stable version. What is odd, is if I do a packet capture with wire shark, I couldn't even see PRTG trying to connect to the server. If I did a telnet to smtp.gmail.com on 465, it showed up correctly.

If I disable encryption, I could see it try to connect (unsuccessfully of course)

I tried to move to the preview channel, and had the same issue with 13.2.3.1699.

Recently with the update to 1.2.4.1946, it seems to be making it further, as I can see it try to connect. I see the 3way handshake with google's server (Syn, Syn-Ack, Ack) complete successfully, but then PRTG sends a FIN without any data.

Is there something that I can look at to figure out what is broken?

Don't really want to reload the machine if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

Brent

gmail prtg smtp

Created on May 3, 2013 8:56:53 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Looks like the 13.2.4.2033 [Preview] build has fixed this. Everything is working fine now.

Created on May 9, 2013 8:12:25 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Within the sensor settings, do you see options to set TLS explicitly / implicitly? If so, please switch to the option not currently used and try again. Does that work? If you do not see these explicit / implicit options, or if changing this setting does not work, please forward us an email to [email protected] with reference to this thread and we will forward you a download link that might fix this issue.

Created on May 8, 2013 1:00:55 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

No joy. I had tried that earlier :-). Figured it couldn't hurt.

I will send an e-mail.

Created on May 8, 2013 2:59:13 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Looks like the 13.2.4.2033 [Preview] build has fixed this. Everything is working fine now.

Created on May 9, 2013 8:12:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.