What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Should Logs(XXX) be migrated to another computer

Votes:

When copying over PRTG configuration from one machine to another, is it possible to copy any of these data folders?

- Logs (Debug) - Logs (Sensors) - Logs (System) - Logs (Web Server)

This will not be a migration but configuration of a new PRTG server.

Thanks again.

Klaus

configuration data prtg

Created on May 6, 2013 3:57:39 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

You can copy over those logs without issue but if you want to have the same configuration and the same historical data as the other server, you would need to also copy the PRTG Configuration.dat file and the Database folder. You would want to make a copy of both when PRTG is not running. You can see some more information about where the data is stored and how to take that data to a new server here:

Move PRTG - This talks about moving an installation but if you have both servers running at the same time with a different license that would work as well.

PRTG Data Storage

Created on May 6, 2013 7:44:25 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the response. What I actually wanted to say was "it is necessary to copy" all of the log folders? I do not need historical data as this will be a new installation or a base configuration that will be applied to new installs. So I need to capture the minimum set of configuration required.

Also, thanks for the link. It does mention copying over the log folders hence my question. Is this necessary? Again, I do not need historical data.

Created on May 7, 2013 1:20:10 AM

Votes:

If all you really need is the configuration and none of the previous data, then you should be able to copy the PRTG Configuration.dat or one of the daily config backups that are under Configuration Auto-Backups and the new installation will be up and running with the same config.

Created on May 7, 2013 7:26:09 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.