What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI OVERLOAD!

Votes:

Ok, this may be beating a dead horse. I've found many articles related to PRTG/WMI sensors. But I feel like this should work, or at least I feel like I'm way under some of the limits described in these articles.

I have a dedicated server, 16 cores, 24GB RAM, 4 10k SAS drives, 2 1Gb nics in a team.

in total I have the following WMI sensors configured: 4x wmicustom, 12x wmidiskspace, 3x wmiexchangeserver, 3x wmilogicaldisk, 57x wmimemory, 16x wminetwork, 57x wmiprocessor, 3x wmiterminalservices, 41x wmiterminalservices2008

now that is more than a hundred but not thousands, furthermore, most of these are paused.

Currently I have 10 sensors enabled. And currently my Interval Delay WMI is at 0%. but just within the last 20min there was one period where that was at 57%.

This is all after I reduced the frequency of these sensors from 60s to 5m. (yesterday I set these all to 5m and resumed the lot. today the were a mix of red/yellow/gray)

I guess setting up local probes on each server may be an option (but I have 100+ servers to monitor so that would be painful)

I feel like I have the hardware, it is certainly idling. No I have plenty of other software in the environment. SCOM, scripts, etc. but the individual sensors work when not enabled all at once, so I assume it's not an issue on the far end.

any help would be much appreciated!

wmi wmi-terminalserver wmitimeout

Created on May 7, 2013 8:37:53 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Please forward us an email to [email protected], with reference to this thread. Please provide the following information the mail:

Beyond that, please head to the "Setup -> PRTG status -> System status" page and generate probe state files for the affected probes (please make sure the probe has been running for at least 1 hour), then forward us the same.

Created on May 8, 2013 11:55:10 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.