What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Lookup

Votes:

I have created a new custom lookup and it is placed in the custom folder. After I do the "Load Lookups" the new custom lookup does not show in the Channel Settings list. I see all of the default lookups but not my new custom one. Running the latest Public release (13.2.3.2015).

custom lookups prtg

Created on May 9, 2013 5:24:10 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

When you create a new lookup like this, after you copy it into the directory, you have to restart the PRTG core service to have it load these new lookups into that list.

Also, you need to define a unique name for the lookup in the file itself under the <ValueLookup id="..." desiredValue="..." xmlns="..." xsi="..."> field.

Please see this article on editing lookups here.

Created on May 10, 2013 9:56:15 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have completed a restart of everything with no luck. Then new lookup does not show up in the list.

Created on May 12, 2013 4:13:25 AM

Votes:

When you create the lookup file, you need to follow the format that is given in the article that I hyperlinked above. If you follow this format and define a unique ValueLookup id in the file and restart the core service it should show in the list. If it still does not, please send the lookup file and a screenshot of your list to [email protected] and reference this KB article in the subject.

Created on May 13, 2013 8:51:44 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I'm getting the same issue but I don't know how to figure it how. Here is my XML file :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <ValueLookup id="hes.dell.MD.Health" desiredValue="1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="PaeValueLookup.xsd">
    <Lookups>
      <SingleInt state="Ok" value="1">System Okay</SingleInt>
      <Range From="3" To="7" state="Error">Needs attention</Range>
      <SingleInt state="Warning" value="2">Returning to normal</SingleInt>
    </Lookups>
  </ValueLookup>

and in the ticket, I'm getting this error :

Value lookup file "d:\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\custom\hes.dell.MD.Health.ovl" could not be loaded ('''' is not a valid integer value)

Any idea ? It seems that "RANGE" is not appreciate. I've created another lookup with only singleInt and it's loaded fine.

Created on Jan 26, 2015 8:38:38 AM

Last change on Jan 26, 2015 9:30:13 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What you likely have to do is change the lookup to this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <ValueLookup id="hes.dell.MD.Health" desiredValue="1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="PaeValueLookup.xsd">
    <Lookups>
      <SingleInt state="Ok" value="1">System Okay</SingleInt>
      <Range state="Error" from="3" to="7">
        Needs Attention
      </Range>
      <SingleInt state="Warning" value="2">Returning to normal</SingleInt>
    </Lookups>
  </ValueLookup>

Created on Jan 26, 2015 9:33:12 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Does the custom lookup file go on the core server, the remote probe, or both? What if the core is a cluster- will it be replicated from the master to a failover node?

Created on Jan 18, 2017 1:40:49 PM

Votes:

Hello John,
thank you for your inquiry.

• Does the custom lookup file go on the core server, the remote probe, or both?

Keep in mind that notifications are evaluated by the Core Server, the Probe only does probing/queries. Since the readings are evaluated by the Core Server, the file needs to be available only on the following folder from the Core Server:

c$\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\custom
  • What if the core is a cluster- will it be replicated from the master to a failover node?

Yes, when you create lookups on your primary node, they will be copied to failover nodes automatically.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jan 19, 2017 6:53:09 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jan 19, 2017 6:53:19 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.