What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is there any way to see what date a sensor was added?

Votes:

I am looking for a way to count how many sensors where added in the last year but can't seem to find anything.

age counter created-date sensor

Created on May 10, 2013 8:12:48 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

open the sensor in question and then go to the History Tab.

There you should see when the sensor was created.

Created on May 11, 2013 1:39:24 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

1. I should have been a little clearer in my question as I need this information for all the sensors. To look at the history tab for over 400 sensors is not going to be practical or or feasible.

2. Most of the sensors that I have looked at do not have any created date information under their history.

Created on May 13, 2013 1:01:12 PM

Votes:

The date of creation is only available in the history tab, and looks like this:

02-Feb-12 13:06:42 PRTG System Administrator Created.

Depending on how many entries you have in each sensors history the initial creation date may have been purged already.

It should be possible to use PRTG's API to get this information for you automatically, but I cannot provide you with a working script for that.

Created on May 15, 2013 8:06:34 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Votes:

Dirk, Thanks! As far as i can tell the sensors I looked at that did not have a created record only have one or at most 2 entries (usually edits). I am wondering if this information was lost in one of the many updates over the last 5 or so years that we have used this product.

I will look into the API if I need a to pursue this more as it is I think we have an answer to my initial problem (will we need to upgrade to a new license level before the end of our next maintenance contract).

Created on May 15, 2013 3:26:04 PM

Votes:

If the sensors are very "old" they may have been created before we actually introduced the lifetime history feature.

BTW: You can update to a higher version at any time, we will arrange maintenance accordingly, you don't loose anything. :-)

Created on May 16, 2013 7:37:37 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.