What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Could not start webserver: Structural error in xml file, 9 open items. ID: - 1000

Votes:

I'm unable to start the PRTG Core Server service via Services. This PRTG has been working for a long time already. Not sure why this is happening now. Application log shows "Could not start webserver: Structural error in xml file, 9 open items. ID: -1000".

core-server webserver-stress-tool xml

Created on May 13, 2013 5:45:49 AM

10 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

could be that the configuration got corrupted.

please stop all PRTG services and then please exchange your running configuration

PRTG Configuration.dat

for one from the Configuration Auto-Backup folder

then restart your services.

use a configuration file from a day you know PRTG did startup fine.

and then start the PRTG services.

Created on May 13, 2013 5:59:03 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Aurelio,

Well what do you now, it works. Thanks a lot for your help! :)

Was a breeze.

Regards, IvanI

Created on May 13, 2013 6:31:17 AM

Votes:

I have tried early versions of the auto config backup and unfortunately i still get the structural error in xml file. Even when I do a fresh install this error comes up. I am current running XP. Please help

Created on Mar 24, 2014 9:21:24 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Could you please forward us your system log files for analysis? You can find the same under

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Vista/2008: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please send the Logs(System) folder as a zip file if possible.

If you have changed the location of the data folder in the past or if you can not find current log files in the above location, please check your data path in the PRTG Server Administrator Tool on the PRTG server.

please send the logs to [email protected]

please add a reference to this KB article or a small description of the issue.

Created on Mar 25, 2014 9:48:41 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello and Happy new year!!

I have exactly the same error "Could not start webserver: Structural error in xml file, 16 open items. ID: -1000 " . The PRTG Core server service starts and the stopped after a few seconds.

the issue came across after the installation of 5 windows server updates.

I have tried early versions of the auto config backup and unfortunately i still get the structural error in xml file.

Can i send you the systems log files ? or any other suggestion for help, please !!!

Created on Jan 2, 2015 3:25:25 PM

Votes:

Could you please forward us your system log files for analysis? You can find the same under

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Vista/2008: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please send the Logs(System) folder as a zip file if possible.

If you have changed the location of the data folder in the past or if you can not find current log files in the above location, please check your data path in the PRTG Server Administrator Tool on the PRTG server.

please send the logs to [email protected]

make some reference to this KB article.

Created on Jan 5, 2015 2:10:07 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just send it.

I will be waiting for your response as soon as possible.

Thank you

Created on Jan 5, 2015 3:00:12 PM

Votes:

did you send the data to support yet?

Created on Jan 5, 2015 3:32:37 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am having the same issue where I can not fix this problem. I have un-installed PRTG and then deleted what was left of the data folder. I re-booted my machine and downloaded a new version of PRTG to install. When it gets to the end and starts the service, it tells me:

PRTG Webserver could not be started properly Could Not start webserver for http://127.0.0.1:Structural error in xml file, 16 open items

I have looked for the webserver log file where you said it should be and there is no Logs file. I have an install log and that is the only log file. The entire path you gave is different from what I am seeing.

I have changed ports and assigned an IP address. All that does is change the error to list the new IP.

What can I do? It worked fine up until a reboot of my machine.

Running Win 7 Pro with all service packs and updates as of 2/11/15

Created on Feb 12, 2016 1:35:16 AM

Votes:

Please do send us your PRTG System Logfiles to [email protected], then we can investigate this.

This can be done via the "Contact Support" ribbon in the lower right corner of the web interface.

Please enter this ticket's case number when submitting the Bundle.

In case the web interface is not accessible, please open the "PRTG Administration Tool" and send us the Log Files from the tab card "Logs and Infos".

Created on Feb 12, 2016 6:43:31 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.