What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can PRTG Network Monitor be hosted on a Cloud Server while being used to monitor Dedicated Servers?

Votes:

As the question states - I was wondering if it would be possible to host the PRTG Network Monitor on a cloud server, and use it to monitor dedicated servers.

cloud dedicatedserver prtg

Created on May 14, 2013 2:50:58 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Yes this would be possible but you would want to make sure that the bandwidth is capable of supporting SNMP monitoring.

Also if you have PRTG set up like this, you may want to use Remote Probes that would sit in the same environment as the dedicated servers that way you can get faster response times.

As long as the PRTG Core Server has connectivity to the environment that the dedicated servers are in, you should be able to monitor them without issue. Also, you need to make sure that the cloud server has access to the servers over the standard ports for monitoring e.g. SNMP (161) WMI (135) etc.

Created on May 15, 2013 9:34:15 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Howdy...

Is this still true (the last response was from 2013...)?

Is network performance still an issue? Or network access...

Also, are there any issues at all on this (i.e. installing PRTG server on Google Cloud VMs)?

Thanks! John

Created on May 18, 2017 5:36:40 PM

Votes:

Hi John,

What Greg wrote still applies. I mean you somehow need to ensure the "cloud hosted probe" can reach the device in your local network and regarding bandwidth the issue is more stability I'd say, since SNMP for example uses UDP packets and if the connection is "shaky" those packets get lost.

We recently started a public beta of our own cloud service which consists of a cloud hosted PRTG server and locally deployed remote probes that run the sensors and transmit the readings to the cloud hosted core server.

Give it a try if you like :)

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on May 19, 2017 3:15:50 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.