This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 13 or later
Filtering Sensor Types Depending on Their Parent Group or Device
With PRTG you are able to control the web interface simply by calling single pages via the address field of your web browser. It is possible, for example, to call status pages of your sensors and view maps directly via the address field of your browser, or even to manipulate objects via the PRTG API.
This way, you can filter sensor types for parent groups or devices by adding a corresponding parameter to the URL on a sensor type’s overview page. This parameter denotes the ID of an object.
- Filter sensors by type in your PRTG installation: From the main menu bar, select Sensors | By Type and choose the desired sensor type, for example, show only Ping sensors.
- You are now on an overview page listing all sensors of the chosen type, for example, Ping sensors.
- The URL of the page in this example is
If you would like to only list those sensors which are in a specific group, you can refine the URL further. Just add a parameter denoting the ID of this object. For example, if you want to see only Ping sensors in a group of Switches, filter for the group by providing its ID.
- You can find the ID of any object on its Overview tab in the header bar, for example, the ID of your desired group can be denoted as ID: #1234.
- Parameters are connected with an & sign to the URL; IDs as parameters are introduced with id=, directly followed by the ID itself.
- In our example, show only Ping sensors in the group “Routers, Firewalls, and Switches” by adding &id=1234 to the Ping sensors overview page’s URL in your browser and hit enter.
- The whole URL looks then like this:
In general, the format of the URL which only shows sensors of a specific type and are in a certain group or on a dedicated device is
Type the URL directly into your web browser or first filter for the desired sensor type and add the ID parameter of the object of your interest.