What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMPERR_BAD_ADDRESS (SNMP error # -3)

Votes:

Hi Everyone,

I get this error every night when my backups are running. My backups are processed on the same server as the PRTG Virtual Machine.

Is this a common error? Is there a way to stop this error occuring or will moving the VM off of this server correct the problem?

It only happens to around half of my sensors, but still a little weird.

Any help is appreciated.

-- Chris

error prtg sensors snmp vm wmi

Created on May 20, 2013 12:54:42 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Support,

Can I get an update on this. We have just purchased a copy of the software and this issue is now happening close to once a day. I need this resolved as soon as possible. Please let me know what we can do.

Created on Jul 2, 2013 12:32:37 AM

Votes:

error #3 means that the destination address could not be resolved correctly.

must be a routing or DNS issue.

the devices showing the issue do they have the IP or DNS name configured in the settings?

Issue clears again by itself when the backup is over?

Created on Jul 3, 2013 5:58:06 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 3, 2013 5:58:28 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The devices are configured via direct IP address, so it cannot be DNS. And they are all on the same physical network so I don't think it will be a router issue.

It is really going to cause an issue if I have to restart the server everyday. Happy to give you access to the server to see the errors and logs if need be as they have just occurred now.

Created on Jul 3, 2013 6:03:55 AM

Votes:

Hello,

maybe we should make this a support ticket now.

please mail to [email protected]

please forward us your system log files for analysis? You can find the same under

XP/2003: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Vista/2008: C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)

Please send the Logs(System) folder as a zip file if possible.

If you have changed the location of the data folder in the past or if you can not find current log files in the above location, please check your data path in the PRTG Server Administrator Tool on the PRTG server.

Access to the PRTG web interface would be good if that is possible.

Created on Jul 3, 2013 10:59:15 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.