What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Disable automatic emails sent out to new users?

Votes:

In our current PRTG configuration, we have many alert notifications going out to email addresses that are not PRTG users, nor part of any PRTG groups. This is fine -- these people never need to login in to PRTG, they just want to receive alert notifications.

I recently realized that my administration of PRTG could be made easier if I could put all these people into User Groups, and manage the sending of alerts with group memberships instead of trying to find the various places where individual email addresses are listed. However, I can only put people into PRTG groups if they are also PRTG users; fair enough, and I don't mind adding them as PRTG users.

However, the problem is that if I add these people as PRTG users, they will all receive automatic emails saying "You have requested a new password for PRTG Network Monitor". Of course, they did no such thing, and I could expect to field many questions from these people saying "What is this??" Furthermore, I don't really *want* all these people logging in to PRTG.

Is there a way to avoid this problem by doing any of the following? -- Disable the sending of these automatic emails? -- Create manageable groups of email addresses that are NOT PRTG users, for those people who wish to receive notifications but will never log in to PRTG?

email new-user user-groups

Created on May 24, 2013 5:04:41 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

David,

I think that the best way to do what you are asking would be to create a new user group that has no access to create any sensors, then multi-add all of the users you want to send email to and put them in that group. If you temporarily disable the notification delivery by giving PRTG incorrect SMTP settings, the emails for these accounts will not go out.

Once all of these accounts are created, you can use multi-edit to change them to read-only users in case they do log in.

Created on May 27, 2013 12:49:23 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Temporarily disabling email by giving incorrect SMTP settings is a great idea. Does this mean that when I change back to the correct settings, that emails won't get sent out? i.e. there's not a queue for backlogged outgoing emails?

Created on May 29, 2013 1:01:36 PM

Votes:

When I tested this out here, when the emails were not delivered, they did not try and resend afterwards. You can make sure of this in the logs. After 3 attempts, the emails will be killed off.

Created on May 29, 2013 2:13:42 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 29, 2013 2:22:41 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Great information, thank you all!

Created on May 21, 2018 12:37:06 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.