What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Setting value lookup in advanced custom sensor script.

Votes:

How do I associate a lookup with all channels of a custom advanced (EXEXML) sensor without having to manually go to the page of each channel and selecting the value lookup?

advanced-script-sensor exexml lookups multiple-channel

Created on May 31, 2013 6:49:59 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can also specify the lookup in the xml structure like in this example:

<prtg> <result> <Channel>Channel 1</Channel> <Value>1</Value> <ValueLookup>prtg.standardlookups.offon.stateonok</ValueLookup> </result> <Text>Text example</Text> </prtg>

This will only work for new sensors and you will not be able to update existing sensors with it. If you want to update an existing sensor, you need to use multiedit, as Andreas Heidrich already described.

Created on Jun 4, 2013 3:24:36 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

4 Replies

Votes:

Please use the feature Multi-Edit. https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/multi_edit_lists.htm

Select the Device, select the respective EXEXML Sensor(s) you´d like to change, click on the wrench symbol and in the upcoming dialog select the "Channel Settings" tab. By selecting the respective Channel you can choose which Value Lookup you´d like to see for all Channels included in your Multi-Edit.

Created on Jun 3, 2013 6:10:56 AM by  Andreas Heidrich [Paessler Support] (51) 2 1

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can also specify the lookup in the xml structure like in this example:

<prtg> <result> <Channel>Channel 1</Channel> <Value>1</Value> <ValueLookup>prtg.standardlookups.offon.stateonok</ValueLookup> </result> <Text>Text example</Text> </prtg>

This will only work for new sensors and you will not be able to update existing sensors with it. If you want to update an existing sensor, you need to use multiedit, as Andreas Heidrich already described.

Created on Jun 4, 2013 3:24:36 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Thanks for the replies @Andreas Heidrich [Paessler Support]: When I go to the "channel settings" screen, I cannot select more than one channel at a time. Is there something I'm missing here? I can multi edit sensors and devices but not channels.

@Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support]: Though I havent tried this out yet, it looks like exactly what i need. Thanks. Is this a new XML tag for the EXEXML sensor? I dont recall seeing this in the version of the documentation I had earlier.

Created on Jun 4, 2013 10:30:25 PM

Votes:

Multiedit is working, if you want to edit the same channel in a set of sensors. It will no (yet) work to edit the settings of a bunch of channels in one sensor.

The Xml-Tag is quite new, because the whole lookup feature is quite new. We will check our documentation and see, if it was added correctly.

Created on Jun 5, 2013 12:05:01 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.