What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor for network connectivity / custom sensor with setup dialog?

Votes:

Hell Paessler Support,

I would have need for a sensor that detects the state of a windows network connection. I would like to know when a connection goes from "enabled" to "network cable unplugged" and so on. I do not want to monitor traffic for these NIC though.

Is there a way to do this with existing sensors or could a "Network state sensor" be added in future PRTG releases?

As an alternative I'd program one myself with WMI. That is a different question now but anyways - can custom sensors have setup dialoges like the original sensor? The reason I'm asking is this. If I create an Exe Sensor that queries the state of a connection per WMI I usually would pass the connection name as an argument.

Now, to deploy this for many servers I would for each have to check the available connections and then create a sensor with the correct argument. A wizard / dialogue would be much easier, much like for example with the WMI network card traffic sensor where one can select which NIC to monitor.

Thank you very much!

connectivity custom dialogues network sensor status

Created on Jun 3, 2013 7:52:44 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

PRTG includes a cisco-interfaces.oidlib whic contains a "if oper status" - the same would be able to deliver the values you are looking vor, albiet via SNMP.

In the case of the EXE sensor you can provide various parameters via placeholders. You will find detailed information in the API documentation (Setup -> PRTG API -> Custom Sensors).

Created on Jun 7, 2013 12:34:19 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.