What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

"Error reading response: missing /prtg"

Votes:

"Error reading response: missing /prtg"

keep getting this error on vmware soap sensors and a couple of wmi and sip sensors.

probe is running on a w2k3 server, with .net 4 installed. haven't seen this problem before. if i hammer the "check now" button, it goes away in a couple of tries for the most part, but reappear in the "Error reading response: missing /prtg" state after a couple of minutes.

prtg sip soap wmi

Created on Jun 3, 2013 7:59:58 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

The problem seems to start when i run a sheduled autodiscovery on 3 hp procurve switches, And the problem goes away when we reboot the prtg core server, (witch we don't want to do)

Created on Jun 4, 2013 11:38:36 AM

Votes:

What PRTG Version are you running exactly?

We do know this error message and we can explain it for vmware and soap, but we can't explain it for wmi. Is it maybe possible that your wmi sensors do show a different error message?

Please install dotNet 3.5 next to dotNet 4.0 and install the windows updates for the dotNet Frameworks. Does it work now?

If this doesn't help please open a command prompt and change the working directory to the "sensor system" directory within the prtg installation directory. Then run the following command and send the result to our support team.

SipOptionsPingSensor.exe -ip=[ip] -port=[port] -user=[username] -pw=[password] -timeout=5 -retry=5

Please replace the placeholders in [].

Created on Jun 4, 2013 12:00:34 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

we are running 13.1.2.1463 all .net 3.5 and 4 is installed and all their updates aswell.

will update prgt to 13.2.*.* shortly (waiting for the all clear from the tech's first)

will the error stop when i update to 13.2.*.* on the soap sensors? or is that another problem i will have to adress first?

(will run the command and send the results to the support team when I have updated and started autodiscovery again, i removed all autodisc so we won't get bogus alarms all the time)

Created on Jun 5, 2013 7:28:36 AM

Votes:

We don't know if the update will fix your problem. There are a lot of bugfixes in the latest version, but to know more about your problem, we'd need to get the output of the command, we described earlier. Did you already send it to us?

Created on Jun 5, 2013 12:24:30 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.