What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I easily change many sensor settings by manipulating the template that created them?

Votes:

I now have about 200 servers that I am monitoring, all of these created with a template. So far so good - however now I need to change the trigger value of a memory sensor on ALL of these machines.

Logic sense dictates that I only need to change the template from which the sensors have been created, but in the KB I read disturbing news: changing the template does NOT change settings on the sensors, not even when an auto-discovery is triggered!

I find this highly disturbing, since this IMHO makes a template pretty much useless - why use a template if I can simply clone an existing server and rename that one? Works even faster, since I only have to modify a name and a DNS-name/IP-address... with the same effect.

So how can I now change about 200 memory sensors in a sensible way? I have already tried to use the 'Management' tab at the topmost level and select all the memory sensors, but the trigger values do not appear in the right-hand side.

NOTE: I will enter an RFC (Request for Change) regarding this template issue.

Thanks/Jaap.

inheritance memory template

Created on Jun 4, 2013 7:56:03 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

How precisely did you define the triggers? In case you specified limits for the sensor channels, you could use "Sensors -> By Type" to generate a list of the sensor type in case, then select the desired sensors and, using the wrench icon, edit the same at the same time. Under the "Channels" tab you would also be able to specify new limits for the channels for all sensors selected.

Created on Jun 4, 2013 3:03:37 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.