What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

NOOB Question; How do you install add-ons?

Votes:

I worked through the manual and FAQs... this one has to be so simple everyone already knows the answer.

The PRTG installation has a "Custom Sensors" folder. I assume you place the add-on image in one of the three subdirectories and do this for all remote probes.

Do you have to restart PRTG?

custom prtg sensor

Created on Jun 5, 2013 1:01:22 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

hmspain,

What you need to do to create this sensor is to create a EXEXML or EXE/Script sensor and there you will see the exe in the EXE/Script field. Add that sensor and PRTG will run your exe.

EXE/Script

EXE/Script Advanced Sensor

Created on Jun 6, 2013 2:31:41 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Once you have that sensor in the appropriate folder/s for all of your probes, it should show when you add the custom sensor that fits with your needs and your script.

You will have to refresh the page to add the sensor if you add it when you are on the page but it should show up there after that.

Created on Jun 5, 2013 7:57:54 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I placed the image StockValueXML.exe in both the "EXE" subfolder and "EXEXML" subfolder of the core server and the remote probe server that monitors the workstation (device) that I'll use to "host" the sensor.

I then refresh the page and search for "stock" to be sure I'm not missing it. "0" results.

Created on Jun 6, 2013 12:58:23 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

hmspain,

What you need to do to create this sensor is to create a EXEXML or EXE/Script sensor and there you will see the exe in the EXE/Script field. Add that sensor and PRTG will run your exe.

EXE/Script

EXE/Script Advanced Sensor

Created on Jun 6, 2013 2:31:41 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Good to know thanks! What was confusing is that the custom add-on does not display as a unique sensor.

You have to add the "EXE/Script Advanced" sensor, and then add the image to be run with parameters.

It is running now :-).

Created on Jun 6, 2013 3:41:26 PM

Last change on Jun 6, 2013 3:53:11 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.