What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Error State Disconnected ports

Votes:

I have many switches that PRTG is giving be on and off error states on Ports that have nothing connected. Why does this happen and how can I turn it off?

disconnected error reports

Created on Jun 5, 2013 3:33:25 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

If you go to these sensors, there should be a section in the settings where you can have PRTG ignore the disconnected status. You can change this on all of these sensors at once by using multi-edit.

Created on Jun 6, 2013 1:16:03 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have seen that setting and have set it to ignore, which looks like the default. These are ports that have no link and just seem to get errors. This seems to happen randomly. I have not found anything in my switch logs. So that setting does not have any affect on the behavior.

Created on Jun 6, 2013 1:24:18 PM

Votes:

What kind of errors are you seeing specifically? Are they timing out or falsely reporting disconnects? Could you try using the SNMP tester when they do error to see if possibly SNMP is reporting something else? You should just be able to run an interface scan when this happens.

Paessler SNMP Tester

Created on Jun 6, 2013 3:11:07 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.