What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Checking a process doesn't exist

Votes:

Overnight I have a process on a server which does an integrity check of a database. I want to create a check during business hours that alarms and notifys if the process is running.

However when I've tried to do this the sensor alarms because it cannot find the process. It'll be good to have a check box which can reverse the alarm condition.

In the mean time are there any ideas on how I can get around this?

Thanks

alarm notification wmi-process-sensor

Created on Jun 6, 2013 9:56:36 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

We're sorry, but there is no plan to add a "reverse function" for this sensor, we can offer a possible way how monitor this, though.

1. Add the process sensor, like you did before and then remember its sensor id. Let take 123456 as sensor id for our example.
  2. Add an additional factory sensor.

In the factory sensor, you use the following settings:

Channel Definition:

#1:Memory
Channel(123456,0)

Error Handling: Use Custom Formula Status Definition:

NOT Status(123456)

Now you can add you notification on the factory sensor.

The only down side is that you will always have one red sensor in your overview(You can acknowledge it, to show it is not a real alarm).

Created on Jun 6, 2013 5:07:28 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Jun 6, 2013 5:08:35 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.