What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unusual State - Set Threshold for only Greater or Less Than

Votes:

If this isn't already available could you make a notification option available so we can trigger when a sensor goes to unusual when its greater than the average it will trigger a ticket but it will not trigger a ticket if its less than the average.

This would be great to use for CPU and Memory sensors.

average sensor trigger unusual

Created on Jun 6, 2013 1:29:14 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

This is not possible with prtg at the moment, but we will add this to our wishlist and maybe add it in the future. We can not make any promises, if and when we will add it though.

The only workaround we can think of is, to define rules for your incoming emails with a text filter so all the notification emails for low unusual states will be removed automatically.

Created on Jun 6, 2013 2:34:06 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Johannes,

I'm too new to upvote this item, but would also greatly appreciate being able to separately control "unusually high" and "unusually low" notifications for SNMP traffic sensors. Unfortunately, unwanted but unsuppressed notifications become "noise" that makes it to easy to ignore what's important.

Thanks for thinking of the workaround, but PRTG is such a useful and flexible tool that I hope the feature will be added soon. A search for "unusual" in the KB suggests that this feature request is not unusual!

Created on Jun 25, 2013 1:48:52 PM

Votes:

Consider your vote counted! We won't make any promises, though.

Created on Jun 25, 2013 1:57:27 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

I would also very much like to vote for this feature! To us monitoring unusually high values are much more important/useful than monitoring unusually low values. It would be great if this could be configurable either globally or for each individual sensor (that would be really great!).

Thanks for an otherwise great product!

Created on Jul 3, 2013 11:30:22 AM

Votes:

Thank you mfmadsen. Your vote has also been counted.

Created on Jul 3, 2013 1:23:30 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

This topic is 8 month ago, I also vote for this feature.

We Monitor a bandwidthsensor, WMI Networkadapter and it is unimportant for every unusual reports "less than" 150 kbit/Sec. We need high Traffic reports only. If it's 0 kbit/Sec. it's an error - report by other sensors.

Dissable "less than" or "Greater than" reports or Setting Parameter for this (10 / 900).

Thanks!

Created on Feb 27, 2014 9:22:10 AM

Votes:

I would like to add my voice here to those asking for the ability to set and an alert for unusually high activity, but not for unusual low. Here's an example of why this is important:

Recently we were victims of a DDOS attack. We got plenty of alerts when systems stopped responding, but we could have been spared a lot of grief if we had spotted the increase in network traffic first.

No problem, I said, I'll just add some PRTG traffic sensors to our outward-facing web servers, and get alerts when traffic is unusually high. That would be great, but in order to do so, we'll also get alerts whenever traffic is unusually low -- for example, every time one of our web servers switches to another host in its pool, and traffic drops to zero. This is perfectly normal behavior, and we don't need to be alerted every time it happens. Worse, if we turn this feature on, we'll get enough false alerts that people will start ignoring them.

I've searched the Knowledgebase and found many requests for this feature. I can't think of a single instance when I would need to know when traffic is low (if it's a problem other sensors will trigger), but many cases where I would like to know when it's high. The "unusual" trigger is a potentially fantastic feature of PRTG, and one that as far as I know, none of your competitors offer. But as it is , without being able to turn off the unusual low alerts, we cannot use it.

Created on Jan 12, 2015 6:30:37 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.