What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Question about Missing OID on HP Printers

Votes:

Hi guys, I don't think there is an answer for my unique situation but I wanted to see if there was something I hadn't thought of. I have an HP Laserjet 2430 and I am trying to pull the toner and tray paper information. The stock ones that PRTG offers does not seem to be working with this printer model. So I did an SNMP walk on the printer and found two OID items that show up when the trays are open or out of paper. However once the tray is reinserted with paper the OID falls off the map and can't be seen anymore. So when the tray is erroring I get the correct message and my string is read in prtg and it shows a proper error condition. But when I reinsert it still errors but with the following under the "Last Message" in Overview for the probe: "No Such Name (SNMP error # 2)" So long question short.... Is there any way of suppressing this or seeing what I need to without it erroring all the time (Making it essentially useless).

error-#2 hp printer suppress

Created on Jun 7, 2013 12:47:36 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm afraid the only way to tackle this, would be using a Custom Exe Sensor that uses netsnmp or similar to query the OID, and does the error-handling inside the Exe/Script. So that in case the paper is properly inserted (and the OID doesn't deliver a response), the script still returns a positive result to PRTG.

best regards.

Created on Jun 10, 2013 8:01:53 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.