What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Easily add Group of Windows Servers

Votes:

I would like to either do WMI or SNMP monitoring for a whole group of Windows File Servers. Autodiscover will find too many random devices. Is there an easy way to add a whole group of Windows Servers without tediously adding them one at a time along with all desired sensors?

autodiscovery group-membership servers windows-xp

Created on Jun 12, 2013 1:35:53 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
you might as mentioned above use the Auto Discovery Feature but in addition to Device Templates. With them you just create one server with all sensors you need and the others can be auto discovered using the same sensor set.
Best regards

Created on Jun 12, 2013 2:17:10 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

But won't the auto discover process scan a whole network and find many other non-server devices in the process? In other words, how do I confine the auto discover search to just servers on the network?

Created on Jun 12, 2013 8:50:36 PM

Votes:

Hi,
in the Auto Discovery Settings you can specify IP ranges or you can just let scan a set of IP addresses. So you can just provide the IPs of your servers and PRTG will only discover them. Details on the auto discovery can be found here.
Best regards

Created on Jun 13, 2013 6:04:04 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just realized that you can also do an auto-discover search based upon Active Directory OU. This is great. Searching through some of the documentation, I don't see the syntax for the OU name. Could you please advise the format?

Created on Jun 13, 2013 4:58:12 PM

Votes:

Hi, sure. Please try the following: suppose you have an OU 'X' and an OU 'Y', which is part of X. In this case try using the following:

Y,OU=X

The sequence is important, i.e. the OU that is part of another must be defined further to the left. In the case of 3 OUs, X, Y, Z, this would look as follows:

Z,OU=Y,OU=X

PRTG adds a leading 'OU=' (and supplements the whole with the domain name and the entire LDAP path). This explains the strange syntax and, as such, it works with OUs that are not part of another OU.

Created on Jun 13, 2013 5:03:49 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Wow. OK. I will give that a shot. I suggest that you provide some help in the mouse-over help icon.

Created on Jun 13, 2013 5:06:27 PM

Votes:

I just forwarded your request to our dev team and they will see what they can come up with.

Created on Jun 13, 2013 5:14:28 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am building some templates for auto-discover, and I see you support WMI access to Windows Event Logs. For example, I might want to monitor the System log for Errors. If an error occurs, send an email alert with the actual error message. Is that possible? Or does the WMI only return an error code?

Created on Jun 13, 2013 5:18:24 PM

Votes:

Yes, this is possible as well. Just create a new notification in Setup | Notifications and add the placeholder %lastmessage to the email template. This will include the last message, which is actually the event log message in the notification.
Then add a Change Trigger with the notification you created before to the sensor on tab Notifications. Now you should receive a notification every time a new message gets written to the event log.

Created on Jun 13, 2013 6:44:40 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.