What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor Name Length and Probe Group Device

Votes:

Hello, is there a way to define the length that the sensor name is? We have a NOC with a monitor screen that uses a map with a table filtered on downed sensors. We are missing valuable identification information for our sensors when they are shown in this table with an error status because the length of the sensor name is being shortened.

length name sensor

Created on Jun 20, 2013 1:35:45 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Just to let you know, we are working on this right now. You should see improvements soon in current Canary Builds, and then later on in Preview & Stable - Builds.

Created on Jul 24, 2014 4:00:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid that changing the displayed length of sensor names in tables, is currently not possible. But we do have this on the wish list. I can't give an ETA though, please bear with us.

best regards.

Created on Jun 21, 2013 11:35:19 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I noticed PRTG uses text-overflow: ellipsis; in CSS. Is there perhaps a way to modify the CSS to accomplish what we are trying to do?

Created on Jun 21, 2013 1:12:56 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry, in tables the 'shortening' happens earlier, before the CSS get's "applied". So this won't help here.

Created on Jun 24, 2013 1:08:07 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So this is definitely within the database code itself and not something in plain text we can arbitrarily modify?

Created on Jun 24, 2013 1:09:23 PM

Votes:

It's in the code, and, yes, in the moment, this can't be changed/edited/"hacked" by a user. Sorry.

Created on Jun 24, 2013 1:37:09 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Just to let you know, we are working on this right now. You should see improvements soon in current Canary Builds, and then later on in Preview & Stable - Builds.

Created on Jul 24, 2014 4:00:25 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It's been nearly two months since you said that we should see improvements. Any updates? We are currently on latest preview build.

Created on Sep 8, 2014 7:42:30 PM

Votes:

The functionality is implemented in the Canary channel already, but it will still take a couple of weeks to be included in the Stable release. Please bear with us.

Created on Sep 11, 2014 12:53:06 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Is this feature already implemented in PRTG stable version 14.4.12.3332? If it is, where I can change this setting in order to display the full sensor name? (without being shortened by css ellipsis)

Created on Dec 8, 2014 9:39:05 PM

Votes:

The feature is now in stable since version 14.4.13

Created on Dec 15, 2014 12:17:09 PM by  Stefan Messner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Where can this feature be set/modified/tweaked?

Created on Jan 23, 2015 8:28:20 PM

Votes:

jmoore, this will be automatically active with any version newer than 14.4.13.xxxx (stable). There are no further settings or tweaks that can be made as a user.

Created on Jan 26, 2015 9:16:10 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.