What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Problem With Custom Sensor - no valid result from shell

Votes:

I have created a python advanced custom sensor that returns about 12 channels showing Total ram Free ram Free ram % Total disk Disk free Disk free % Size of /opt Size of / var/log Size of /~ Load 1 min Load 5 min Load 15 min Running process (parameter passed in) Queue length of redis key And mysql database size Finally mysql avg querie time

The script runs perfectly when called manually and returns perfect xml.

When run by prtg it works fine too 95% of the time the rest of the time every 20 times or so I get no valid result from shell. The result saved to disk contains no data at all.

I simulated load on the server using stress. And the sensor failed every time although I could log in no problem and run the script.

Also the script takes less that 2 seconds to run prob less than 1 mostly.

ssh ssh-custom-script xml

Created on Jun 20, 2013 7:41:42 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

you are right, there was a misbehavior in the ssh-sensor that lead to this randomly occurring errors. As it is timing related it sometimes happens and then the sensors work fine for a certain time. It is already fixed and will be release with the upcoming preview-version next week. I'm sorry, but I can't estimate a release-date for fix in the stable-channel.

Kind regards

Created on Jun 21, 2013 8:02:28 PM by  Dieter Loskarn [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.