What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring HP ProLiant Hardware

Votes:

We are running the latest version of PRTG.

We manage a range of HP ProLiant Servers, from the ML110 G5 to DL380 G7, and everything in between, running either ESXi or Windows Server 2003->2012.

I want to be alerted to hardware status on things like Disk crashes, temp, faulty ram modules, failed PSU's etc.

Now on our ESXi servers, I have managed to add VMware Host Hardware (WBEM) and this seems to provide a nice range of sensors for various things.

However, I need to do the same for our non-VM stuff.

Do I need to install anything in particular on the servers themselves, or configure any custom sensors?

Autodiscover doesnt seem to pick these up and I'm not 100% sure which manual sensors to add.

hardware hp status

Created on Jun 21, 2013 8:33:21 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

To monitor the HP proliant series of servers, you would want to create any number of our HP Proliant sensors for these devices. Currently we have the following:

- SNMP HP ProLiant Logical Disk Sensor - SNMP HP ProLiant Memory Controller Sensor - SNMP HP ProLiant Network Interface Sensor - SNMP HP ProLiant Physical Disk Sensor - SNMP HP ProLiant System Health Sensor

These sensors need to have HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008 installed on the target device, so it reports data via SNMP. Also, in order to receive SNMP data from RAID controllers you will additionally need HP Insight Management WBEM Providers.

With that said, this is an easy enough solution for those servers that you have that are running Windows but for the ESX servers, this may present an issue. Since the Insight manager would not run properly on a VM since it only has access to the "Virtual" hardware, you might want to try and install the HP ESXi Offline Bundle for VMware ESXi and see if that provides the same SNMP OIDs as the normal SIM OIDs.

http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Technical-Support-Services-Blog/6-Simple-Steps-to-Monitoring-ESXi-with-Insight-Remote-Support/ba-p/100789#.UcgP1vkwfzw

We will be testing out the ESXi Offline Bundle this week or next and I'll post here whether or not it works with our sensors.

Created on Jun 24, 2013 10:40:06 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

Thanks. I have got HP ProLiant System Health Sensor installed for most servers now without issue.

On these very same systems though some of them take the ProLiant Memory Sensor, some dont. However none of them take the Physical Disk Sensor?

I know everything is set up correctly, I have all the insight agents installed and WBEM providers.

With ESXi for now we have just used the WBEM Hardware (ESXi) and that seems to report on pretty much all the stuff we need.

Created on Jun 24, 2013 11:55:28 AM

Votes:

On one of the servers that you are not able to create the Memory Sensors, can you run a walk with the SNMP tester to see what it's reporting for OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.6.2.14 and post it here?

Also for one of the servers that won't report on drive status, can you do a walk with the SNMP tester on OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.3.1.1 and post the results as well?

SNMP Tester

Created on Jun 24, 2013 1:48:52 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm not 100% on how to use the SNMP Tester but...

Local IP - Any Device IP - Is this the IP of the Probe? Port 161 SNMP V2C Community matches what I have set for this client

Custom OID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.232.3.2.3.1.1 equals a response of No Such Name (SNMP error #2)

Created on Jun 24, 2013 2:37:41 PM

Votes:

The Local IP is the IP of the server you are running the test on. The Device IP should be the HP server.

Can you do an uptime scan and have it be successful? Other than that, I would say to please submit a ticket to [email protected] with your logs.

Created on Jun 24, 2013 3:18:15 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 24, 2013 3:18:34 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Uptime is successful - but OID as previous states No Such Name

Created on Jun 24, 2013 3:21:16 PM

Votes:

Please try OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.232 and post the results.

Created on Jun 25, 2013 1:02:20 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

----------------------- New Test ----------------------- Paessler SNMP Tester 3.2 Device: 10.11.12.5

25/06/2013 14:38:05 (99 ms) : Start using SNMP V2c 25/06/2013 14:38:05 (135 ms) : ------- 25/06/2013 14:38:05 (159 ms) : Value: No such object (SNMP error # 222) 25/06/2013 14:38:05 (194 ms) : Done

Created on Jun 25, 2013 1:38:27 PM

Votes:

If the server is showing that for the OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.232 then something has to be misconfigured in the server itself or possibly the SNMP tester.

The OIDs that are available through the Insight Manager all start with that OID so performing a walk on that OID should yield something there especially if you were able to create some of the other sensors on that HP server.

Created on Jun 25, 2013 3:16:39 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.