What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I limit user or group view by sensor type?

Votes:

Is there a way to limit the sensors that a type of user or group is able to see? For example, I have a role that is monitoring outages and alerting teams of people if they go down. I don't want them to see sensors going up and down that aren't critical alerts, just ones that need immediate attention. event log sensors for example are worthless to this person, but ping sensors are important and they may be on the same device. Can I accomplish this on a sensor type basis rather than sensor by sensor?

group role sensor user

Created on Jun 21, 2013 2:39:31 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

The two ways that you could do this would be to multi-edit all of the devices of that type to set up the group's permissions for important sensors and to not show sensors that are not important or you could set up libraries based on tags for sensor types and set up the access rights through there and then it would apply to sensors with those tags for future reference.

Created on Jun 24, 2013 11:34:22 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Multi-Edit is something that we have integrated into PRTG to allow you to edit multiple sensors at once. You can filter by sensor type e.g. Ping or SNMP Traffic Sensors then select all of the sensors with the check boxes then click on the wrench and there you can see the settings that you are able to edit for those sensors. Multi-Edit

Created on Jun 24, 2013 12:12:38 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.