What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I use a list of values from a WQL in PRTG?

Votes:

I am trying to create a custom WMI sensor which queries for any processes with a certain name using more than a certain amount of memory and returns their ProcessID.

It makes more sense in WQL...

Select IDProcess From Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfProc_Process Where PageFileBytes > 629145600 AND Name LIKE "%w3wp#%"

When I add it as a WMI Custom sensor, I get the following error: Query returned more than one record (code: PE078)

When I add it as a WMI Custom String sensor, I get the following error: This sensor has not received any data since startup. Please check "WMI Delay" channel of core/probe health sensor. Consider distributing your WMI sensors across several probes!

The WMI Custom sensor works if there is only one process that meets the criteria but I need it to work with multiple processes meeting the criteria. Sort of like the WMI Users sensor where there is a list of users but in this case I need a list of ProcessID's.

How do I create the custom sensor to accept multiple values and present them as a list?

list wmi-custom-sensor wql

Created on Jun 24, 2013 9:11:41 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

I'm afraid WMI Custom sensors only accpept one return value. What you could do is write a EXEXML sensor with, for example, 5 fixed channels. Then use VVScript to extract the WMI table and dump the required values as channels.

Created on Jun 24, 2013 1:30:46 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.