What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Hardware Requirements for PRTG

Votes:

Hello,

I'm deploying a new PRTG installation wich will be on a vitual machine.

I will have 1000 sensors that 600 are cisco Netflow.

My probe interval is 30 seconds.

What is the Hardware Required for that implementation ? how much of the memory RAM ?

thanks.

netflow prtg9 snmp-sensor

Created on Jun 25, 2013 2:17:27 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Whether you could actually monitor 600 NetFlow sensors depends on the amoount of flows received. Would this entail one NetFlow stream that would split the data into 600 entries by filters or would you actually want to monitor 600 routes, each with one stream? In the latter case you would need to test if this would be able to achieve, seeing as flow sensors do use up a large amount of resources. Accordingly, it would require a very powerful machine.

If the 600 sensors were to be too much for a single node, you would have to distribute the load over multiple remote probes. However, the only way to be certain if this is possible would be to try directly on the actual system / network.

What would not be possible, however, is to monitor this type of environment via virtual machines. In such scenarios it is almost imperative that physicaly servers are used.

Created on Jun 27, 2013 12:21:20 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.