What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Windows services via SNMP (not WMI)

Votes:

My old monitoring system was able to monitor windows services natively via SNMP. I am trying to figure out how to get PRTG to do this. We have over 500 windows servers and I am trying to avoid going the WMI route. Right now PRTG through SNMP is doing everything I need it to do except those windows services.

prtg service snmp

Created on Jun 25, 2013 8:30:11 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Recent versions of PRTG introduced support for native Windows Service monitoring via the SNMP Windows Service Sensor.

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 8, 2016 9:17:59 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

4 Replies

Votes:

Currently it isn't possible to monitor Windows services using SNMP via PRTG except when using specialized libraries such as SNMP Informant. We are, however, working on a technology that will allow to do the same, albeit I would be hard pressed to let you know when the same will be available. Please bear with us.

Created on Jun 26, 2013 1:09:23 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

ok, I look forward to seeing what you do with it. Meanwhile, do you have a cheat sheet on getting the snmp informant libraries working with prtg?

Created on Jun 26, 2013 1:19:31 PM

Votes:

If you intend to use the Informant libraries, you merely have to install the library on the target device (generally this also requires restarting SNMP afterwards) and should then be able to access the counters in case directly via PRTG. In the case of the freeware SNMP Informant library, PRTG already includes an OIDLIB which you can use in conjunction with SNMP Library sensors. For all other libraries you would need to import the respective MIB using our MIB Importer or add SNMP Custom sensors providing the necessary OID.

Created on Jun 26, 2013 3:02:32 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Recent versions of PRTG introduced support for native Windows Service monitoring via the SNMP Windows Service Sensor.

Best Regards,

Created on Jun 8, 2016 9:17:59 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.