What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Adding a sensor manually not working

Votes:

I am trying to add a sensor to a free-bsd device but no sensors come up when I try to specify a sensor type. The device cannot be pinged but it is alive. It can be contacted via SSH and HTTP but when I choose those connection types nothing comes up as a possible sensor to add. I did auto-discovery and all it found were a few disk SSH sensors. I am running the latest release of PRTG 13.2.3.2284 x64 on a Win8 PC (both probe and server and ajax client).

adding-sensors free-bsd manual

Created on Jul 2, 2013 9:16:04 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

When you say no sensors come up when you try to specify a sensor type, do you mean that it does not generate a list of sensors from which to choose from? I.e. they are not visually displayed?

Created on Jul 2, 2013 1:43:45 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Correct. When I click on "Add Sensor" and no matter what category I choose no sensors come up to be chosen. I've tried clicking on almost every category and it always says "Results: 0".

My guess is this has something to do with there not being a Ping sensor for the device --- but that is just a guess. It would be a shame if you had to always have a Ping sensor in order to add any other kind of sensor.

Created on Jul 2, 2013 1:47:06 PM

Votes:

This shouldn't be the case. Please try adding the user in case (i.e. the user trying to add the sensors) to a different user group with the appropriate access rights and try again. Does that work?

Created on Jul 2, 2013 2:05:29 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

You are correct, I can't manually add a sensor to any device! I can add devices and do auto-discovery but manually adding a sensor seems to be broken. I am logged in as the PRTG administrator so I should have the ability to do that no matter what the user access is set to, correct? Or is there some master setting I need to review to make sure the administrator can manually add a sensor?

Created on Jul 2, 2013 2:30:51 PM

Votes:

I re-booted my PC and now I can add sensors again. Not sure why that fixed it but it did. I didn't change anything other than re-boot the PC to get it to work.

Created on Jul 2, 2013 11:44:46 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.