What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I create a new sensor (graph) by a mathematical calculation of other sensors?

Votes:

Hi

At the moment, I am using SNMP V1 on one sensor to monitor the total bandwidth of my network and Cisco OID on another sensor to see the real-time number of live concurrent users.

I am wondering if I can create a new sensor (graph) that shows average bandwidth consumption per user/line. The graph could be manipulated by dividing the total bandwidth by the number of online users. Is it possible to create a new graph by a mathematical calculation of other two graphs?

Thanks

Reza

calculation customize prtg sensor

Created on Jun 9, 2010 10:10:56 PM

Last change on Jun 10, 2010 7:21:27 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Votes:

This is absolutely possible, please take a look at the manual section regarding sensor factory sensors.

Created on Jun 10, 2010 4:55:10 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 10, 2010 7:21:15 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks for the helpful response. Very interesting.

By the way, I have just noticed that due to a very useful feature, exporting the data to excel files, we had decided to use PRTG version 6, while sensor factory sensors are available only in PRTG version 7.

I am wondering if it is possible to have the both features in the same version or not?

Cheers

Created on Jun 10, 2010 10:00:05 AM

Votes:

In PRTG7 you could use a sensor's Historic Data function to export sensor data to CSV or XML.

PRTG7 has an API so you could script this, too. See Introduction to the PRTG API Interface for more details.

Created on Jun 10, 2010 10:29:11 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jun 10, 2010 10:39:07 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.