What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Snmp Trap sensor doesn't receive any traps

Votes:

Hi,

I've read your documentation concerning snmp trap sensor about hox i can test it and what's the limitation of this snmp trap recevier function of prtg.

But my problem still exist. I've configured my sensor with a correct OID, i create traps from my device but no results appear in PRTG ... I don't really understand. I have test you method to see if snmp trap is working and it works but when i create traps from my device, no message are received.

I verify my traps with wireshark and they still arrived on the device where the PRTG monitor is installed.

I don't find any other solution and the reason why it doesn't works. I hope you have any idea

Best regards,

bug prtg snmptraps

Created on Jul 3, 2013 8:37:26 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Can you tell me what OID you are trying to monitor as well as what type of device the traps are coming from?

What settings are you using for the SNMP Trap Sensor?

Created on Jul 4, 2013 1:36:01 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The OID i'm trying to monitor is : 1.3.6.1.2.1.11.0 for example but i've tried many others ... The device is a Cisco Switch 3560.

And for the configuration, i've only set the OID but not set a specific device from which the trap are coming from and not a specific number of snmp trap.

Created on Jul 4, 2013 2:24:48 PM

Votes:

With PRTG at the moment, it's only possible to monitor Explicit OIDs, not enterprise OIDs. This means that you would need to find out a specific trap that you want to monitor and enter in the OID into this sensor. For more information about the SNMP Trap Sensor, please take a look at this article: How can I use PRTG’s trap receiver and what are its limitations?

"OID value: SNMP traps sent by agents may contain several different textual information entries, each represented by a unique OID. It is therefore necessary to tell PRTG which part of the trap you want to log. Please refer to the trap sending device description to find the appropriate OID."

The OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.11.0 seems to be an Enterprise OID :rfc1215 Traps.mib

Created on Jul 5, 2013 7:47:08 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.