What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG filling windows security logs

Votes:

We have an issue since installing the trial of PRTG.

All of the servers which i had set to monitor over the last 2 week, they reported that the security event log was full upon logging in remotely, upon checking, this seems to be PRTG logging in to check the set up sensors in the system at the time with the domain account i set up to check the systems

Is this normal for it to write so many logs to the system?

http://i.imgur.com/a92Gy8E.png

I would hate to see what happens with more than 10 sensors or did i set something up wrong? too frequent on checking?

I was using the cpu/memory/snmp uptime, network and some I/O sensors.

event-viewer logs security

Created on Jul 8, 2013 2:52:51 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. I'm very much afraid these log entries cannot be avoided, and are completely normal with WMI/Windows sensors. As WMI/Windows sensors have to do (by design of Microsoft) an authentication before requesting information, which is then logged by Windows.

best regards.

Created on Jul 9, 2013 12:18:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, i went over and checked the security log settings and then recalled that we had set the system to save logs for 8 days and only had 120Mb of space for them as we were trying to track an issue from before.

i increased the size 180Mb and also set the security log to overwrite as needed, as they should be and this should resolve this issue, thus far no complaints from servers!

Created on Jul 9, 2013 5:13:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.